1. Our average harvested Grassfed beef will weigh 1200 pounds live. They will be about 22-24 months old which is typically older than your supermarket beef by 4 months. Grassfed beef take longer to finish on grass compared to corn fed/finished beef. Grass finished beef will spend 60 or more days turned out on high quality forage enjoying protein and energy rich native grasses and allowing the animals to finish at a more natural pace. They do not receive any growth hormones or additives to chemically induce the finishing process.
2. The average hanging weight of our Grassfed beef will be 50% of the live weight or about 600 pounds. The hanging weight is the weight of the carcass before it is processed into individual cuts. Our pricing is based on the hanging weight. If you purchase a quarter of a beef you can expect to pay $4.50 per pound on approximately 150 pounds.
3. Our beef will dry age in a temperature controlled meat cooler at just above freezing for 21 days. The aging process is very important as it allows the meat to tenderize and enhances flavor beyond the ability of the live grazing animal. Some meat suppliers will only age beef for 7-14 days to reduce cost and time, however, we at Blue Mountain Ranch feel a longer dry aging practice enriches the taste of your beef.
4. Once aged the beef will be cut and wrapped according to your custom instructions. A representative from Blue Mountain Ranch will visit with you and advise on what meat cuts best fit your needs. Some examples are: 1.5 pound or 2 pound packages of hamburger? Depending on the size of your family you may want lager packages at a time. Or sirloin tip roasts or sirloin tip steaks? Do you typically grill more meat or use crockpots and ovens? All of these questions can be easily discussed and answered in a 15-minute phone call. We will schedule a time to visit and you will be able to customize your order to fit your needs. To become more familiar with types of meat cuts and ways to cook them visit beefitswhatsfordinner.com and the interactive butcher counter.
a. Please note that if you order a quarter of a beef you will receive what is commonly called a “split half.” We will evenly divide the cuts from the front quarter of a beef AND the back quarter so you receive a “quarter” of all cuts available.
5. During the processing and wrapping of your order, you will lose about 35%-40% in excess trim, bones, or unwanted items. You can expect to put 55%-60% of the hanging weight into your freezer, which is approximately 80-90 pounds of meat on a quarter of a 1200-pound animal. This amount can vary depending on your custom cut up instructions but this is a good way to estimate how much meat you will receive.
6. Once we know when the meat will be cut, wrapped, flash frozen and ready for consumption, we will arrange delivery or pick up dates. We are happy to deliver in the state of Oregon especially if there are more than 2 customers ordering from your area. There will be a $50 delivery fee if you live outside of Crook County. We will also pick rendezvous locations or if you are local you can pick up your beef at the butcher shop.
7. As a recap – our Grassfed, grass finished beef is $4.50 per pound hanging weight which will average about $7.50 per pound on the actual pounds of meat in your freezer. That is $7.50 per pound for T-bone steaks, prime rib, sirloin, all your roasts, rounds, Grassfed burger and stew meat! MUCH CHEAPER than purchasing those cuts from your local grocer and you can order a quarter, half or whole beef.
8. We request a $200 deposit to guarantee your order.